My name is Brian Thompson, and this is an account of my efforts to follow all of Facebook's suggestions. I've already failed.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

This morning, I received my first two suggestion responses since this accursed experiment began. Karrissa the sort-of-goth accepted my friend request. I thought she might have some decent cleavage shots, and I was correct. Upon closer inspection, however, I'm not as impressed with her look. It's not only that her eyebrows are plucked to within less than an inch of two-dimensional existence. It's her seeming obsession with pot. In her profile picture, she's smoking a blunt, and some of her photos are just portraits of sticky, clumpy buds. I don't smoke pot myself, or anything else for that matter. Inhaling smoke gives me a headache, and it makes me sickeningly aware of the existence of the lung sacks inside my chest. In other words, I'm a pussy. And I have no problem at all with people smoking pot. It's just that I'm not interested in it at all, and the people who are often have a difficult time being interested in anything else. I'm too judgmental. Also, shallow. I'm not proud about the eyebrow comment earlier. But this is a log about truth. Karrissa also has a photo of a blunt laid across a Book of Mormon. So, there's that.

My second response came from the girl with whom I previously had a suddenly truncated and embarrassing sexual relationship. She doesn't seem to hold a grudge over our extended period of non-communication, which is a relief. Her response made me consider something I've been doing when following Facebook's suggestions. Whether it's a wall post or a friend request, I've often included a sort of caveat like "Facebook asked me to do this, and I'm afraid of what will happen if I don't." This is bullshit. I know nothing will happen to me if I ignore Facebook's suggestions. But I feel like I should write something to explain myself. Also something funny to break any sort of tension that might exist between me and the other person. This may be a cop out that's not in keeping with the spirit of the experiment. I think I'm more concerned about looking like a Facebook slut than I previously thought. Ridiculous.

On the bright side, I didn't have to ignore a single suggestion this morning. This may have something to do with numbers. I friended the Y-Leaders Club, an organization for children who frequent the after-school programs at my local YMCA. Despite the involvement of children, this didn't make me feel like a pedophile. I'm acquaintances with the man who runs my local YMCA. Nice guy. He writes poetry I enjoy, and I rarely enjoy poetry. Seems too easy. Like a "New Yorker" comic. But my hatred of Garrison Keillor may have influenced my apathy toward poetry, which may be unfair. If there's a good place to start digging into modern poetry, I would be interested to know.

Unrelated to the experiment proper, I accepted a stranger's friend request and immediately de-friended him after reading his profile. As I said before, I receive many unsolicited friend requests from strangers who listen to my podcast, so I didn't think much about accepting this gentleman. But then I noticed his profile picture was a metallic, heavy metal-inspired riff on the atheist's scarlet "A" symbol. On his profile, he described himself as a "militant atheist" and a member of the Pirate Party, which is a political organization originating from Sweden that pushes an anti-copyright platform. In other words, it's a party for thieves with a false sense of entitlement. I de-friended this gentleman to avoid any unwelcome suggestions from him in the future. But I hope he doesn't notice, because I don't want to hurt his feelings. I also don't want him to see me as indecisive.

This log is making me confront deep insecurities I'd rather deny. But in the spirit of the experiment, I'll accept them. It seems I care a great deal how people perceive me. But no one cares about that.

People in my news feed are talking about the results of yesterday's primary elections. It's either good or bad news for the Democrats. Everyone agrees incumbents are in grave danger. I don't know much about the situation other than Rand Paul won the Republican nomination for one of Kentucky's senate seats. He's the son of Ron Paul, who named him after Ayn Rand. Which is phenomenally absurd.

I wonder how the oil situation in the Gulf of Mexico is going to affect this year's crop of Facebook swimsuit photos.

Gosh, this log is getting pretty bleak. I don't mean to be such a downer, so I'll finish today's entry with something positive. Trivia always cheers me up, and this is something not many people know: the plural of "cul-de-sac" is "culs-de-sac". Also, culs-de-sac are the most likely places for children to be run over by cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The past